January 16, 2013

Pirducken

Saturday evening , I prepared a Pirduckin for Sunday supper.  We invited Cave Daddy's parents and my mom over to share the experience that we were very excited about!  I made ours with Duck, Goose, Chicken, and Pork.  I did not make it the fully traditional way, though after discovering how fun and easy it was to prepare, and how amazingly delicious it was, next time I am going all out and making it the totally traditional way.
What I did:  First, deboned the duck (bought a whole duck from Whole Foods), next split a goose breast in half and placed inside the duck, the split two chicken breast in half and placed inside the goose, then placed 5 small pork loin chops inside the chicken.  You can see here where I next wrapped the entire Pirducken with cooking twine.  I seasoned each layer of meat, plus the outside of the meat with sea salt, pepper, italian herbs, and olive oil.  I let this marinate overnight until around 2:30 on Sunday afternoon.  When it came time to cook, I slow roasted it on 350* for about 3 hours (until the internal temp had reached 165*) , then it rested in the oven on 175* for the last hour while we waited for our supper guests to arrive.  I baked it seam side down and each hour I basted it with the juices that were cooking out.  I also had a pan of water on the bottom rack of the oven while this was roasting to keep the oven moist.


The finished masterpeice!
 For side dishes, we had collards that I cooked in the stock I made from the duck bones, plus added some bacon drippings and bacon pieces to, and my mom brought some yummy salads from Whole Foods.  Cave Daddy's parents came over also, and for dessert we had  ice cream that I made with my ice cream maker using only coconut milk (30 oz), stevia (1/3 c), and vanilla extract (2 tsp), with strawberries on top. YUM!
This meal was delicious, and our company was very impressed with it, as we were.  We haven't stopped talking about it yet.  It turned out.  You gotta try it.  It was really hilarious to hear Bam Bam asking for "more goose" from her high chair!
Pirducken.  By layer: Duck, goose, chicken, pork.
We will be doing another Pirducken very soon!

No comments :

Post a Comment