March 12, 2020

Come on In


I'd like to share our new home, and all the DIY we've done to make it ours! It's extremely different from any style we've ever done- but our favorite! So I'm going to do one room at a time per post. 

The master bedroom, from one angle. There is a bedroom with closets, a sitting/dressing room area, and private bath. This was taken from the sitting room facing the bedroom. I've loved working on all the projects, and by far my favorite part is seeing it all come together. I'm definitely doing a beach/lake cottage, shabby chic style throughout. It makes sense here because as you'll see later,there are huge windows, vaulted ceilings, and the floor plan is just a wide open one. It's breezy with lots of natural light. So soft blues, bright blue accents, white, grey, and sea green have been perfect. And very happy 😊
About 90% of what we have was given to us. So just assume that what you see, was given out of a sweet souls compassion. I just changed it up a bit! The chest was in awesome shape, a walnut brown. I painted it some shade of blue (I buy SW quarts on sale, and mix shades on my own until I get what is in my mind 😜) For this piece I didn't sand it before. I just put a few light layers on, intentionally leaving the original color in spots for an easy antique look. Love! 

The artwork is my originals. Two of my favorite pieces I've painted. I did both while we were in the apartment, looking for houses. That's around the time that my go to colors started switching from the pink/purple/orange to blue/green/gray/white. 


Before/After. The top photo is from the listing photos. And today's beachy, bright, happy place. With the flowers from my husband and son ❤️ "Mommy I love buying flowers for you" said the precious toe headed boy. Melt. 

I made the valances from curtains I got at Big Lots for 12$. Top is before- they were nice custom curtains, just not our style. 


And finally, let's talk about the bed and tables 😊 The before of the same pieces is shown below, with the after on top. Absolutely love it. To do the bed, I did sand down the first finish pretty heavy. I basically stripped it. The color is, suprise, not mixed 😉: SW Cay. After applying 2-3 layers of paint, I went back in and distressed it, as you can see in the above photo. 
 Let's talk about the bedside table. It is part of a full suit with the bed. I didn't sand this. In the next photo you'll see the color of the other bedside table. I like this one, but I'm thinking it's just too bold for me. I'm thinking of sanding it down and doing SW Fleeting Green or Rainwashed, both very light sea greens. Or Tradewind which is a light blue-grey. What's your opinion? TBD. Softer lighter green? Bluish Gray? Light Greenish Blue? 🤔


This is the other bedside table. I think I want a coordinating but not matching the bed, color. 


Happy Happy Master Suite!!! Still a handful of projects to finalize in this room, but really- if I ran out of my own home projects, I'd go looking for more. Happy Sunday and thanks for looking at my studio! (Aka house...😉) ❤️


No comments :

Post a Comment