February 27, 2014

My Dixie Lullaby


"A Dixie Lullaby" 

My father had skin like leather, hands like steel from a lifetime spent in the cotton fields. 




Though he'd come home tired and dirty almost every night, he found the strength to smile at me and hold my mama tight.

















While that old transistor radio would play the opry out in the hall, I'd sit and watch their shadows glide across the wall.  And they'd dance to a Dixie lullaby.  A picture of love beneath the southern sky Oh my, what a beautiful life. Just like a Dixie lullaby.








I left home at 18 in a hand me down Chevrolet, packed my mama's goodness and my old man's stubborn ways.  


































 It was college, work and love.
















 







Then the babies came.






The youngest one got his granddaddy's name. 



In the early morning hours when my children could not sleep I'd rock them in my arms to a gentle beat. I'd sing them a Dixie lullaby. Hush baby, don't you start to cry. Oh my, what a beautiful life. Just like a Dixie lullaby.









My father was a mountain of a man....





















....Oh my what a beautiful life. 




Just like a Dixie lullaby. 










(Last verse of lyrics ommitted)

Songwriters
Davis, Russell Patrick/ Green, Pat/ Pollard, Justin

No comments :

Post a Comment