January 7, 2013

Welcome to our Cave!

So about a year and a half ago, I began doing lots of research on the Paleolithic diet and lifestyle for weightloss/health purposes. Our family has been following this lifestyle on and off, fairly loosely, since then. I have discovered a wealth of information on the internet as well as constant consulting of a few great friends who have followed this lifestyle for much longer!
 Recently I have been fighting some health issues that a Paleo diet has been proven to help, so for a number of reasons, Fred and I decided we would do a 30 day Paleo challenge and just stick to it fully for 30 days. Im here to document the journey, ask for motivation, accountability, and encouragement, along with posting lots of recipes since I often receive the request from many of you to do so! We are really excited to see the differences in ourselves, mentally and physically, after the challenge. And yes, even the kids will be doing this with us!
Please share this blog with anyone interested, and along the way, let me me know what you think! By the way, there is a lot more to a Paleo lifestyle than food, it just all starts with what you eat! Oh , and this might be just be me, but if we're gonna live like the cavemen did, I probably won't be worrying as much about how clean my house is as I will about getting outside to play with sticks with my kids :)

 So Day 1 meals and activities : Breakfast- scrambled eggs and clementines, super quick and easy for a rushed morning (I had already seen 2 doctors by 930 am!) The kids went to preschool and I had just enough time to come home and build a fire after my appts before time to pick them up.
 After school and a quick but refreshing visit with my dear friend, lunch was leftover meatloaf (a true favorite among my household and so super easy.... this time I literally put the meat in the crockpot with seasoning and ketchup on top...) green beans and sweet potato fries.
After lunch while the kids napped I spent some time in prayer and devotion, planned the weeks meals, and eyeballed / adjusted our routine. Then I took a few quiet minutes to wrap up with a blanket and close my eyes to recharge by the warm fire!
After naps we bundled up and went for a walk. We got to visit with a few neighbors and gather sticks for fire starter! Supper was a huge hit - bbq leftover from my brother and sister in laws baby shower, sauteed spinach and fries! Wait, fries are Paleo???? So I sliced carrots really thin, tossed in EVOO, dashed with sea salt and roasted on mama's pizza stone at 400* for about 40 minutes. We referred to them as "yummies" for the kids;) Luke commented that he has never tasted better carrots !
 After supper we made sure to get in some tickles and giggles before bed and bath, and I just kept thinking about something I heard that rang so true, that "life is made up of moments". We had lots of great moments today! Oh and after the babies are in bed, Cave Daddy and I love to enjoy each others company by a warm fire with a glass of red wine, and a bonus tonight...National Championship Game!!!

 Goodnight yall!

No comments :

Post a Comment